The team of Agnini Family Dental is pleased to offer a variety of dental services for the entire household. Our four dentists, including Drs. Michael Agnini, Andrew Agnini, Ahmad Bhatti, and Donald Van, are committed to ensuring adults and children have access to necessary procedures, which may include dental extractions.
What are dental extractions?
Dental extraction is an oral surgery procedure performed if a tooth needs to be removed from the dental alveolus or socket. Most dentists will provide simple extractions, while specialized oral surgeons will often perform the surgical extractions. Simple extractions are the removal of a tooth that has erupted through the gum line and is accessible, while surgical extractions pull teeth that may be underneath the gum line.
When might I need a dental extraction?
Dental extractions may be required in a variety of situations. Below are four common reasons why a permanent, adult tooth may be removed by the team at Agnini Family Dental:
- Irreparable damage to the tooth from severe caries – dental caries, or “cavities,” may form when patients do not maintain the health of their smile. These holes in the teeth may reach the dental pulp in the center of the tooth and infect a tooth. If root canal procedures are unable to fix the problem, patients may be faced with the need for extraction to keep the infection from spreading.
- Loose teeth due to late-stage periodontal disease – periodontal disease is an infection that can cause the shrinking of tissues and bone, causing adult teeth to become loose. If these teeth cannot be reattached to the alveolar bone, they may need to be permanently extracted.
- Impaction – teeth such as the wisdom teeth have a tendency to become impacted, which means they are “stuck” underneath the gum line. Impacted teeth will need to be removed during surgical extractions.
- Prepare for orthodontic treatment – when patients experience overcrowding of the teeth in the mouth, an orthodontist may send the patient to a dentist for preparations. By removing extra teeth, the orthodontist can ensure that the smile can be realigned using the remaining teeth for a beautiful smile.
- Learn more about dental extractions
At Agnini Family Dental, our professionals believe in providing top-notch, quality care, especially when it comes to providing comfortable extractions. If you may need to have one or more teeth pulled from the smile, we encourage you to book an appointment at our office. Call (863) 682-1500 and visit us at one of our two convenient locations in Lakeland, FL.